YESTERDAY AND TODAY AT WSCHOWA
Wschowa - an old royal city and historical capital of the Wschowa district
is now one of the administrative centers in the Wschowa county.
It is situated on the border line of Leszczyńska upland and Barycko-Głogowska valley.
Currently Wschowa District, an area - 624.82 km2 and has 39.372 people. Wschowa Municipality, is located on the surface - 198.3 km2 and has 21.889 inhabitants. City Wschowa, has an area - 8.39 km2, and the city Wschowa is 14.357 people. (As of 31 December 2010)
Thorough the town goes the Ostrów - Leszno - Głogów - Zielona Góra railway.There are also coach lines to many towns, Gubin (land frontier of Germany), Jelenia Góra, Kalisz, Lubin, Łodź, Poznań, Słupsk, Ustka, Warszawa, Wrocław and Zielona Góra among them.
The climate of the region is milde and favourable for agriculture. Farmlands cover 60% of the region area. Industry is situated in Wschowa.
The first historical note on Wschowa in documentary form appears in 1136. In the XIII-th century Wschowa is a town with a well developed surrounding area.
Veschov - is the earliest name of the town that appears in the document coming from 1248. In 1273 Wschowa was mentionad as a town. In the second part of the XIII-th Wschowa is given the city laws. In 1343 the town is joined to Kingdom of the Poland by Kazimierz the Great of the Polish king. From that moment on dates the development of the town and the nearby area. During the reign of Władysław Jagiełło the town is surrounded by the city walls and given several privileges - such as the to mint own coin and selling salt.
Textile manufacturing becomes the main and leading element of economy of the town.
The end of the XVI-th century means futher dvelopment of the towm and documents of 1579 show that there were 370 manufacturers of various profession at that time and half of them were connected with textiles.
In the next century Wschowa and the neighbourhood is a flourishing region. Starosta Wschowski (the sheriff of Wschowa) - Hieronim Radomicki founded Nowe Miasto (New City) in 1633-a place inhabited mainly by Protestants leaving Śląsk and Germany. At that time Wschowa was an important centre of Reformatory movemant.
Many prominent people came from this place minister Waleriusz Herberger (1562-1627) who was known as "Little Luther", chronicler Casper Hoffman (1548-1627), historian S.F. Lauterbach (1662-1727).
The wars of the XVII-th and XVIII-th centuries had a destructive effects also on Wschowa and its region.
In the first part of the XVII-th and XVIII-th century the Polish kings of the Sas dynasty - August II and August III were reigning and then Wschowa once again becomes politically anad economically active.
It is because of the visists paid by the King and several official sittings of the Parliament.
During the Northern War on the 13-th of February in 1706 between Dębowa Łęka and Osowa Sień (the battle of Wschowa [Fraustadt]) Swedish army, under the command of general Karl Renskjöld, defeated twice as big Saxo-Russian army, under the command of general Schulenburg.
As the result of II-nd Partition of Poland in 1793 Wschowa becomes a part of Prussia.That date marks a rapid stagnation of the town.
On the 31-st of January 1945, after 152 years, Wschowa was again within the boundaries of Poland.